And guess how many producer deals Tom has in development! And Rob Schneider speaks up and a new article from Variety. All you got to do is click.
SAG YouTube Page DeBUNKolated
Here is the new Tom Hanks “Vote Yes” Video, we ran the “Photo Still” through the Ol’ DeBUNKolator. It spit it out with all you need to know about why Tom is voting yes.
Here’s Tom’s video:
Stop it Tom you’re killing us with facts. The irony here, is that back when Tom was pushing us into early negotiations, he noted in a letter to the editor of the LA Times that “the issues facing actors are pattenly different” than those facing directors and writers.
Now he’s telling us to vote for the same deal they got…even though according to him our needs are different. So, Tom which is it? My favorite line in the video is when Tom calls this deal with all of its rollbacks ‘Not Perfect.’ That would’ve been like trying to convince some girl to go on a blind date with the Elephant Man. “No, Dearie, he ain’t what you’d call handsome, but he has a lovely carriage.”
Now here’s former SAG President Ed Asner on KTLA where he takes Sally, Tom, George, Alex and others to task. This link will take you to the KTLA webpage scroll down to the small icon that says “Sam Rubin sits down with legendary actor Ed Asner” and click. (Sorry Asner video no longer on KTLA website)
Rob Schneider jumps in on the subject.
This one is worth seeing to. It’s from the same guy who brought you “The Elephant in the Room.
A.L. Miller SW Editor & Chief
Here are Tom Hanks’ producer credits.
Heavy hitters favor SAG deal
Baldwin, Clooney, Field among supporters
By DAVE MCNARY
The heavy hitters have come out in favor of ratifying SAG’s deal — including Alec Baldwin, George Clooney, Sally Field and Tom Hanks.
Just cause they’re non-strikers don’t make them ‘heavy hitters.”
The stars are part of over 500 SAG members who have endorsed ratification of the Screen Actors Guild’s feature-primetime contract as backers of the deal amped up their campaign.
“I voted yes because I think it is a smart contract for these hard economic times,” Hanks said in a video posted Friday on the SAG web site. “To have no contract for the past year has hurt actors and this new contract repairs much of that damage.”
Tom doesn’t bother to mention that in these ‘hard economic times’ box office is at an all time high, nor does he explain how signing a bad deal that will be with us for decades is going to repair much damage.
SAG announced the endorsements early Friday evening in a “message of solidarity” to members to support the two-year deal. The pact had been under relentless attack by hardline opponents, led by SAG president Alan Rosenberg, for falling short in new-media pay and jurisdiction.
Opponents of the deal have previously criticized high-profiles such as Baldwin, Clooney, Field and Hanks on a number of occasions over the past year, dating back to the stars endorsing AFTRA’s primetime deal last summer and opposing a strike authorization vote last winter.
Ballots went out to 110,000 SAG members on May 19 and are due back June 9. Those opposed to the deal have contended that voting it down will force companies to sweeten terms, although the congloms have said they will not do so.
Backers also include SAG president Melissa Gilbert, SAG 2nd VP Sam Freed, SAG 3rd VP David Hartley Margolin along with Ed Begley Jr., Jane Curtin, Mike Farrell, Patricia Heaton, Kathy Joosten, Rob Lowe, Ian McShane and Sam Waterston.
You know it’s a good deal when a union hater like Kathy Joosten likes it. She has gone on record comparing having to belong to SAG to having a colonoscopy, and said publicly that she was planning on going fi-core and tell others to do the same. And there’s Melissa Gilbert who accused those who disagreed with her as ‘Embedded Union Busters,’ Mike Farrell, he used the SAG Actor Magazine to label those who disagreed with him as creations and misanthropes. As for 3rd VP David Hartley Margolin, you can understand him backing the TV/Theatrical contract, he has nothing to lose since he has never worked it.
The campaign in favor of the deal has noted that members have been working under terms and conditions of a film-TV contract that expired last June 30, when the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers made their final offer. They’ve noted that SAG members have lost out on an estimated $85 million in salary gains as a result of not having a new deal.
What they don’t note is any documentation to back their $85 million dollar claim. And what they really don’t note is that by giving them complete unfettered access to libraries of pre 1974 TV and 1971 features, our members and their families will lose a lot more than $85 million dollars–by not receiving residuals on the $ Billons of dollars that studios will make off of their efforts in the decades to come.
“The agreement provides important gains for members across the country, including a 6.5% increase in wages, additional union jobs for background actors in television programs and motion pictures, increases in major role performer payments, first time ever payments for programs streamed on the Internet and many other protections and provisions for new media,” the statement said. “It’s time to put our industry back to work.”
Don’t you just love those PR pearls? How is signing a pathetic deal going to put us back to work when the real reason for the production slowdown is not our stalemate with the AMPTP, but, rather, the fact that banks are not making loans, foreign distributors are not coming up with ‘prepay’ money to help finance films, and of course, producers are going out of country to save money. But, go ahead and sign on to this deal, and when you are still sitting there waiting for an upturn in production, and depending on residuals, think how thrilled you’ll be when that $782 dollar network residual your expecting turns out to be a check for $23 dollars
Rosenberg remains convinced that the deal appears headed for defeat, contending that the reaction in calls and emails has been very supportive. He’s asserted that if the AMPTP won’t improve the terms,
SAG leaders should ask for a strike authorization — which requires a 75% approval by those members voting.
Deal proponents — including Arkin and interim national exec director David White — have predicted that the measure will pass easily. Rob Schneider, Ed Harris and William Petersen have come out against the deal this week, joining Martin Sheen, Elliott Gould and John Heard.
SAG’s national board approved the two-year tentative deal, which mostly mirrors the latest WGA, DGA and AFTRA contracts, on April 19 with only 53% of the board supporting the agreement.
Once again, it should be noted that the overwhelming majority of the Hollywood board voted against accepting this ‘deal’–while the overwhelming majority of those board members from New York and the branches whvoting for it–only do 25 percent of the work.
Opponents have contended SAG can’t accept the new-media terms while such sites as Hulu gain popularity. Proponents of the deal have contended that the opponents are exaggerating how much money’s being made through video streaming.
According to Business week, Hulu is expected is expected to make $120 million dollars this year; that’s up from $80 million from last year.